Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A year ago this month....I still wouldn't change a thing!!




A year ago this month we found out that our sweet Noah has Asperger Syndrome.  I think back to this time 
last year and remember feeling a "spectrum" of emotions.  This has been an awesome year and we have learned so much!  Noah is still Noah and I still wouldn't change a thing!   We started talking to Noah about Aspergers and Autism several months ago.  He had a lot of questions and we walked him through it.  We talked about how his brain just processes information a little different than other people.  It might also be hard for others to understand things about him.  He was anxious to get on the computer and "research" Aspergers.  He found a huge list of people who are believed to have an Autism Spectrum Disorder.  "Mom, did you now that Albert Einstein had Aspergers?"  We found a lot of others.  Mozart, Henry Ford,  Bill Gates, Ben Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Charles Dickens, and the list goes on.  "Look at all the wonderful things these people have contributed to this world, I told Noah!"   Noah asked, "Mom what do think I will do"?  I said "anything you want baby"!  Autism is a difference not a disability!  Noah knows more about airplanes than I will EVER know.  He amazes us everyday with all kinds of information.  Medical topics have made it to the top of his interests lately.  Maybe he will be a doctor!  He is absolutely AMAZING!  Noah asks from time to time if he can tell people he has Aspergers and I tell him it's totally his choice. He believes that Aspergers is a wonderful thing, and it is!  If he can help others understand and be aware, acceptance can happen.  All I've ever wanted for Noah was acceptance!  If you think about it so much comes from acceptance: love, friendships,ability to teach and learn, kindness and everything else that makes us who we are.  Aspergers is a part of who Noah is.  I feel so special that God thought I could handle this!  Yes, it can be overwhelming at times.  Trying to make difficult decisions for your child can be painstaking!  We all do it though, whether we have a special needs child or not.  I know that with the wonderful support we have Noah will do great things.  I can't wait to see what amazing things he will continue to do!!

1 comment:

  1. Noah is so very special! He amazed me that afternoon telling me medical facts. :) I know he will do great things!

    ReplyDelete